Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Adapted Listening Center

I recently revamped my listening center.  I felt like some of my students would just sit at it without much focus on the book they were listening to.  Some would even sit for a while after the story was over, lost in their own thoughts.  I wanted my Listening Center to be more structured and also last for one switch of our reading centers.  (Next year my goal is to make question sheets for the books that a majority of my students would be able to do independently.) So here's what I came up with:


I numbered 4 bins (I don't think I'd ever need more than 4 stories to fill a 10 or 15 minute rotation.)  I uploaded all of my Books on CD to my computer.  I copied 3 or 4 books to a CD (depending on the length of the stories).  Then the students don't have to switch CD's between stories!!  I also put numbers on each bin and made a pull off card for the students to keep themselves on the correct book.  1/2 of my students can follow along with the right book fairly independently but I'm wishing I had put a little clip on each CD that says, "now pick up the next book."  I'm sure the prompt could be faded but it would help the students who struggle with when to go on to the next book.  It's really helping though.  I've also added visual "rules" to the center to help them follow the routine or for a visual reminder if someone is off task.  
When I started this center I had one of my aides sitting with each student to practice the routine.  The amount of days someone sat with them depended on how independent they were able to be.  When I was able to fade my aide, I added an additional center that will not be independent.  

This is our first year doing reading centers in this way and I'm finding this as a successful way to teach my students the centers that will be independent before adding all of the "manned" centers.  


Here's a quick pic of my Read to Self center.  4 of my 6 students are able to at least look at books independently and 2 of them need to be read to.  I practiced reading independently with each of my 4 independent students so that this could be independent as well.  These are the bins from Lakeshore that I spent a ton of money on a few years ago but find that I'm not so good at keeping organized.  Therefore, I've re-purposed them as reading bins.  

Does anyone have any other tips for making Listening center and Read to Self independent?

3 comments:

  1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your listening center idea!! I could totally use this in my classroom. I also struggle to get my kids to sit and read books independently. I found that what worked best for some of my non-readers/lower level readers was having pictures for them to velcro (match) to each page. For instance, in Brown Bear, matching a picture of a Brown Bear, Blue Horse, etc. That way, they have a task to complete as they read each page. I can't wait to read more of your blog! Check out my blog at http://autismtank.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about picking a a component of a story map that they can draw and color when done. For example one week they made draw the setting in the story. Another week draw favorite part, or favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am glad you saw that I BOO'D you! I scheduled my post for this morning and thought I would have a chance to get back and post to you but it was a looooong day! As a treat for being BOO’d we are supposed to give away things from our TpT store…however I don’t have a store and I offer everything free on my blog. BUT if you see something in a picture or have something in mind you have been looking for I would be happy to check my school files and email you whatever you would like!

    Allison
    Miss Allison's Class

    P.S. I have the same problem with listening center. I gave up on it last year and made it a "literacy" center where students could choose to read, act out nursery rhymes with hand puppets, do an activity like LeapPad or magnetic letters, or take a sensory break with fidgets and soft music. Giving them some options and letting them make the choice was SO helpful (as we know it often is with our ASD kiddos!). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete